Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Ducks, Geese and Swans :: Bean Goose
Bean Goose Anser fabalis
Described by: Latham (1787)
Alternate common name(s): Western Bean-goose, Russian Bean-goose, Tundra Bean-goose, Thick-billed Bean-goose, Johansen's Bean-goose, Middendorf's Bean-goose, Forest Bean-goose, Taiga Bean-goose
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 4 more images.
(1) n. Scandinavia (c. and n. Norway, Sweden, Finland on Liminka Bay, Oulu Province) through nw. and c. Russia (Ural Mountains).
(2) Novaya Zemlya, n. Russia (Kanin, Yamal, Gyda and Taimyr Peninsulas).
Both (1) and (2) winter locally in Britain (Scotland, England), s. Sweden, Denmark, e. Poland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy, e. Austria (Neusiedlersee), Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, w. Romania, e. Bulgaria (w. Black Sea region), w. Turkey, n. Africa (n. Morocco, n. Algeria, n. Egypt). (2) Also winters in s. Russian, w. Siberia, Turkestan and China ( w. Sinkiang and Shensi).
(3) Nw. Siberia e. to the Khatanga River. Winters in Turkestan, n. Iran (s. Caspian Sea region), w. China (w. Sinkiang) and c. China (ne. Szechwan, Ningsia) and in the w. and c. Aleutians Is.
(4) E. Siberia from the Khatanga River e. to the Kolyma River region, Transbaicalia (Lake Baikal), w. Anadyrland, nw. Mongolia (Altai Mountains, Orog Nor).
Winters in Japan and e. China (lower Yangtze River valley s. to Kwangtung).
(5) Siberia from the Khatanga River e. to the Chukotski Peninsula, Kamchatka Peninsula, Anadyrland, Amurland, Koryakland and South Korea (Busan in the Nakdong Estuary).
Winters in Korea (Naktong River valley, Kimpo Peninsula), China, Japan (Honshu, Lake Izunuma, Miyagi Pref., Fukushimagata, Niigata Pref., Lake Biwa, Shiga Pref.) and se. China (Fukien s. to Hainan Is.) and occasionally in the w. and c. Aleutian Is.
North America n. of Mexican border
Transient Spring migrant: (3) w. ALK (w. and c. Aleutians Is). (5) W. ALK (w. and c. Aleutian Is.).
Izumi, Kagoshima-ken, Japan - Feb 11, 2002 Source: William Hull
Description: Bird is walking through stubble field. There is also a Hooded Crane visible.
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.