Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Pheasants and Partridges :: Red-necked Francolin
Red-necked Francolin Francolinus afer
Described by: Müller, Statius (1776)
Alternate common name(s): Red-necked Spurfowl, Cranch's Spurfowl, Bare-throated Spurfowl, Bare-throated Francolin, Gray-winged Francoln, Cranch's Spurfowl
Old scientific name(s): Pternistis afer
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeSc. and se. Africa;
(1) W. Congo on the lower Congo River, Gabon, ne. Angola e. to e. Africa through Zaire to around Lake Victoria and s. to ne. Zambia, s. Tanzania and n. Malawi.
(2) N. shore of Lake Tanganyika in the Ruzizi Valley, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, w. Kenya to ne. Tanzania and e. Zaire.
(3) Coastal e. Kenya from the Tana River n. to Shimba Hills and n. of Lamu to ex. n. Tanzania.
(4) S. and w. Angola, s. Zambia and ex. nw. Namibia.
(5) E. Zambia and Mozambique n. of the Zambezi River to e. Tanzania.
(6) Se. Zimbabwe e. to Malawi and c. Mozambique s. of the Zambezi River.
(7) South Africa in s. and e. Cape Province, e. Transvaal, s. Natal e. to the Limpopo River.
Introduced to Ascension Is. in the s. Atlantic Ocean.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.