Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Typical Owls :: Stygian Owl
Stygian Owl Asio stygius
Described by: Wagler (1832)
Alternate common name(s): None known by website authors
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeCentral America. Nw. South America. Tropical c. South America;
Three populations in Cental America and two populatios in South America;
(1) Highlands of nw. Mexico (ne. Sinaloa, sw. Chihuahua, nw. Durango and Jalisco).
(2) S. Mexico from Guerrero and Veracruz, Chiapas, Cozumel Is. discontinuously to Guatemala (Quetzal Biotype Reserve, Depto. Baja Verapaz), Belize and nc. Nicaragua. Nw. South America in Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela.
(3) Cuba and Isle of Pines.
(4) Hispaniola and Gonave Is.
(5) N. Amazonian Brazil to se. Brazil (c. Bahia, Chapada Diamantina, Ibicoara), e. Bolivia (ne. Santa Cruz) and ne. Argentina.
(6) Paraguay and n. Argentina.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.