Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Hoopoes :: Eurasian Hoopoe
Eurasian Hoopoe Upupa epops
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Hoopoe, Common Hoopoe, Senegal Hoopoe, Central African Hoopoe, African Hoopoe, Ceylon Hoopoe, Indian Hoopoe
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 5 more images.
RangeS. Palearctic, n. Oriental and Ethiopian regions;
(1) Se. Sweden, continental Europe (France, Spain, Hungary) across c. and s. Russia and w. Siberia s. to Portugal (Baira Baixa Region along the upper Rio Tejo), the Canary Is., nw. Africa in Morocco, Algeria, c. Tunisia, n. Libya, then from the Near East and Middle East in Arabia, nw. India and nw. China (Sinkiang).
(2) Ne. and c. Egypt, Sudan and e. Chad (Ennedi).
(3) S. Algeria (Ahaggar) and arid regions from sw. Mauritania, Senegambia, s. Mali, s. Niger, s. Chad and s. Sudan to Ethiopia and Somalia.
(4) Cameroon, Central African Republic, n. Zaire, n. Uganda and n. Kenya.
(5) Congo Republic, c. Zaire to s. Uganda, s. Kenya and s. to South Africa (Cape Province).
(6) Sc. Siberia e. to the Yenisey River to Amurland and Ussuriland, Japan, n. and e. China and Tibet.
(7) Pakistan, c. and s. India and Sri Lanka.
(8) Ne. India (Assam) to Indochina, Malaysia and Sumatra(?).
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: ETI BioInformatics
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.